RC Bike Forum - Moto-5.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AGM outcome  (Read 5900 times)

RokiRead

• Professional
AGM outcome
« on: October 28, 2008, 07:50:24 PM »
Before I get burnt to the ground YES I should have gone to my pennyís worth unfortunately it wasn't possible Im just airing my thoughts. :( I know it is an effort so thanks to the peeps that did go.

The only bit that has confused me is the fact that Aldershot hasnít been selected for a national even though itís in the paragraph "Clubs to be encouraged to hold regular meetings" which seems a bit contradictive. Halifax and Mendip donít have regular bike club events so why select them for nationals?

I would have thought the tracks that do host us for regular club meetings and where there is a large bike contingent would have been top of the list and been rewarded.  :|

I am not having a pop at anybody and donít want to start a bun fight but would just like to understand how the five clubs where selected as it wasnít clear from the notes.

All the other stuff seems pretty good.

Cheers
Roki
When the flag drops the Bulls#*t stops

Chris Douglas

• Administrator
  • World Champion Poster
AGM outcome
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 08:48:51 AM »
Hi Roki,

Unfortunatly you are correct Aldershot was not shortlisted for a national next year, please be aware this was not done to spite anyone at the Aldershot club and is not set in stone (we are in the hands of the clubs to accept the dates). The choice of tracks was put to a popularity vote and due to the reduction on number of rounds it didnt make the cut.

Dont forget with a shorter BRCA National season we can have a better focus local club racing and try to attract more club racers who will then join the Nationals in due course.

We will be organising some one-off meetings througout the year for the 1/5th's and 1/8th's so watch this space....
Chris,

KP Designs KP11e Superbike, Venom GPV-1 Superbike, McLarney Daytona Stockbike, Mardave FIM Sidecar, Anderson M5 Race Pro.

RokiRead

• Professional
AGM outcome
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 02:06:04 PM »
Thanks Chris, I appreshiate your reply.
When the flag drops the Bulls#*t stops

Dez82

• World Champion Poster
  • Dez Chand 'a good man' 1966-2011
AGM outcome
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 04:10:05 PM »
As Chris says, Aldershot have been acknowledged for bringing new drivers to the bike scene through its popular club meetings and that is to be supported wherever possible.

It was simply put to the vote, that tracks where we had to reduce the number of bikes on the grid would have to be given second priority to tracks where we can happily run 10 bike grids. With the stock and sport class being combined we could be looking at F finals if we ran 5 bike grids, and who wants to be pole in the B just because they qualified 6th out of 30 drivers?

We understand that the Aldershot club will continue running bike friemndly meetings and hope to perhaps get a 1/8th bike meeting orgaanised there perhaps, when the Venom bikes become common place, now there's a formula that would take a 10 bike heat and p[rovide some great racing action around Aldershot!

I hope that the fact Aldershot are not getting a National doesn't mean they will be running club dates on National weekends and that the drivers will continue to support the Nationals series whenever possible. It was disapointing that no one from the Aldershot region could make it to the AGM but that's not the reason they weren't considered for a National round, before you ask.
Dez Chand
BRCA Bike Section Chairman

If you obey all the rules,
You miss all the fun !

Adder

• Administrator
  • World Champion Poster
  • Sheene Tribute/M3R-16
AGM outcome
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 05:36:38 PM »
Unfortunately family commitments meant I couldn't make the AGM as I was originally planning, but there you go. :(  I'm happy to go with the outcome of the AGM as a result and if the vote was for fewer, bigger, tracks then that's the way it goes this time around.

From a Club perspective Bike meetings have been developing well from the original core of about 5-6 local people once a month in 2006 to the point where there has been a bike heat pretty much at every meeting over the summer and it looks like continuing in that way through the winter. :) 8)

We'd like to encourage that to continue and with fewer Nationals next year will give us the chance to have a bigger Summer racing scene with the bikes.

Club meetings are Multi-Class so they'll run regardless, but TBH on the Nationals dates most of the regular bikers will be at that rather than a club race (when there's a clash). It means we either get no bikes that weekend or a very small heat of those that can't travel for whatever reason. Either way it won't affect the Nationals any more than previously... :)

With the open rules at the club, there's plenty of opportunity to test different set-ups and experiment with motors, chassis etc, in the knowledge that if your bike run well around Aldershot it should be possible to make it work well anywhere!

What I'd like to see in the New Year, (assuming Santa arrives with parcels from Venom!) is a 1/8th heat in addition to the established 1/5th heats.

I'll sort that out with race control if it looks like being viable - hopefully there'll be 7-8 'midi' bikes available to race before too long.

If it proves to be a popular class it may be possible to sort a 1/8th GP later in the season, possibly incorporated into one of the 'extra' Multi-Class trophy meetings.
Scott Adderson
M3R-16 / Anderson M5-X / X-Rider

Darren Johnson

• Rookie
AGM outcome
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 09:21:54 PM »
Hi,

Sorry I tried really hard not to post ! And yeah I probably have no right to comment (but I will get my bike soon !) but surely to grow the series it needs to at least have a meeting at one of the best supported (correct me if I am wrong on that one) clubs.

From the number of spectators that the bike heats get at the club meetings this must generate interest, and a well publicised national could do far more.....

Can Aldershot really not have 10 bike heats ? with 20 second laps is that really not possible ?

Sorry, I am not meaning to criticise in any way, its just I think that the bikes are so much fun, that they should be accesable to as many potential racers as possible....

I would hate to see it go the way of 200mm, where a series future is decided by the minority that are able to make one sunday of the year, regardless of whether they support the whole series or not !!

Thanks  :)

Dez82

• World Champion Poster
AGM outcome
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 09:46:42 PM »
Hi Darren, no problem, everyones view is as valid as the next.
The "Make one sunday" is a little off, the guys at the AGM were also the hard core that travelled to EVERY BRCA National regardless where it was in the country, so of course they were also enthusiastic (and available) enough to make the BRCA too, to see it was done right, the more the merrier as we always say.

Aldershot is a great track and certainly if you can get around there with a 1/5th bike you will get around everywhere. You'll see that Snetterton didn't get a National also, so it's not because of the attendance or otherwise, purely a racing preference for the bigger tracks that decided the outcome, nothing more, nothing personal, and certainly meant in the best respect to all concerned, though of course we expected a response from the Aldershot crew as you are all so keen to run the bikes there.

The Aldershot club is run well and a regular club meet is great to see, and with less Nationals maybe more bikers will make the trip to join in also, certainly once the 1/8th bikes arrive we will be looking to make a GP or even a series for them in conjunction with the importers/manufacturers and supporters thereof. Once some basic 1/8th rules have been worked out tracks like Aldershot, Snetterton, West London and Bedworth will be approached to judge interest and dates available, though for starters we'll just be happy to see club meets accepting the 1/8th bikes so the drivers can assess the tracks for suitability first hand.
Dez Chand

You miss all the fun !

Darren Johnson

• Rookie
AGM outcome
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 08:29:13 AM »
Hi Dez,

Thanks for your reply,

Sorry about the one sunday comment, that wasnt aimed at the bike section, in 200mm at one point there might have been 100 -120 drivers yet the 20-30 that could make the AGM could vote absolutley any proposal in, and for the ones that can not make it, if they then dont like the new rules, they simply disappear....go and race rallycross or something !!

But, the big difference in bikes is, there are very few rules, which is brilliant, and the general atmosphere is just a lot more friendly, and more helpfull  :)

Sorry I dont know if this already happens :
One thing I think would help encourage newbies is to maybe have a test day (with no cars on the track !) , where some experienced racers can attend and set up some bikes and give riding tips, as if you can get your bike handling well, it makes such a difference to a new/inexperienced racer. Maybe Aldershot is a good place for that if there are good numbers locally.....maybe have it before the season starts ? Or even better, have a bike that anyone can come and have a go of....I dont know if the 1/8th bikes are a little easier because of there size ? I know as soon as I had my first (very bad) go of Roki's bike, I was completely hooked, BUT I wouldnt go out and buy one until I knew I could get round ok.....

Bikes must be the hardest to learn to ride, even if there is just someone there to marshall for you, it would be a huge help. We have been using my riding for Roki's pre season fitness training !!

Roki and I are working on a few car drivers to convert :)

Dez82

• World Champion Poster
AGM outcome
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 09:21:53 AM »
I know what you mean, the rally cross section had 25 turn up this year, and half of them didn't even race, just want to influence the rules in their direction, if you know what I mean ;-)

Open days are great but it's how you publiscise them that counts, if no one knows it's happeneing it just turns into a race day with all the regulars. The best time to do it is straight after christmas, but with bikes it's best done on a big big car park, as you found out they are quite hard to get your head around straight off and if you can't even get down the straight many give up and walk away. Cotswolds would probaably be the place to do an open day, simply because we could probably negotiate a large clear area next to the track for "Testing" and L Plates only, I have taught several car drivers on there so far, but even after half an hour they couldn't get round the track and wrote it off as "Too Hard".

Maybe once the Venoms turn up in large numbers that would be a good idea, because everyone will have one and want to get out and use it. You need to make something obvious on the web site at Aldershot to attract locals to a race day, or Tescos for a test day ;-)
The Venoms main attraction is thier very low price which means more people can get into bikes, the £300 price tag of a race worthy 1/5th bike without wheels or electrics or body work or radio puts a lot of people off even having a go, in case they get hooked and can't resist spending that much.
Dez Chand

You miss all the fun !

Adder

• Administrator
  • World Champion Poster
  • Sheene Tribute/M3R-16
AGM outcome
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
Hi Darren,

With regards to testing, the Aldershot regulars post the occasional informal day when one or more will be testing and it's not uncommon to get 2-3 people out to play. If you're a member at the club you're welcome to turn up and join in at one of those, just keep an eye out on the forum or post your intention and see if anybody is free.  There's half-a-dozen or so 'very' locals who get up there reasonably regularly so worth asking. :)

To make a full practice or open day that was open to all comers we'd probably have to pay race day fees to the Landlord which may make it prohibitively expensive. Ideally you'd need a track with a large open space next to it as well for total newbies which we don't have...

10 bikes in a heat is possible at Aldershot, we've done it before, but what you do need is a full complement of experienced bike marshalls to make it work. There's less room for errors than at some tracks so if there's a big difference in abilities between pole and tenth place it can get quite busy!

At the National it was put to the vote and the pilots elected to go with two finals of 5 to keep it clean. If there had been more than 10 then we could have done 6 or 8 in a final without too much difficulty.
Scott Adderson
M3R-16 / Anderson M5-X / X-Rider

itsthegman

• Semi Professional
AGM outcome
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 12:20:26 PM »
Just to chime in with my .03 of a euro.

If at all possible can we look at club dates for the big local bike clubs (Aldershot,Brooklands, Skipton) and arrange national dates around them.
I know it's an ask but where possible.

I'm keen to do all the national rounds this year hopefully the aldershot happy bus will be able to venture north once more to halifax and skipton.
You can tell when we've arrived cause all we say is 'yarp'.

G.  :D
"Martini Racer - any time, any place, anywhere"