RC Bike Forum - Moto-5.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Whose going to Bedworth on the May 10th  (Read 5212 times)

nippy57

• Professional
Whose going to Bedworth on the May 10th
« on: May 04, 2009, 08:21:57 AM »
Bedworth this weekend and hopefully good weather. Its been dry there so far and we've had some good clean racing.
Hopefully get a few more there this week. The usuals who are willing to travel will be there :?: . See you on saturday for some track time.

Dez82

• World Champion Poster
  • Dez Chand 'a good man' 1966-2011
Bedworth Round 3 May 10th
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 09:50:50 AM »
I'll be there, with the first production sample of the new Mardave Sidecar on test too, for it's first race thrash test, should be interesting!

Can't wait already!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:46:21 AM by Dez82 »
Dez Chand
BRCA Bike Section Chairman

If you obey all the rules,
You miss all the fun !

Dez82

• World Champion Poster
Re: Whose going to Bedworth on the May 10th
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 10:49:36 PM »
As well as Steve Chapman running the new mardave sidecar with Pete Chang and myself, I know Dave R and Alan L will resume battle in the stock class, and Anthony Barras is coming to run a Venom loaner for the day, and a new chap Darren Brown is coming for some training and set up on Saturday so hopefully he will be uptoi speed and confident enough to stay fior race day, plus the McLarney brothers will be there and Chris D, hopefully many more too. Maybe even Chris G if he can drag himself north of Watford   ;D

See you all there Sunday morning 8-ish if you need set up and a little track time, 8:30 if you just wish to sign in and chill before race 1 which will start about 9:30.

directions and details are on the bedworth web site www.bedworthrc.com
Dez Chand

You miss all the fun !

Dez82

• World Champion Poster
Bedworth Summer Series Rnd3
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 10:47:30 AM »
Another good turn out for the 1/8th bikes and sidecars at Bedworth saw a north/south merger in the midlands, Chris Groom up from Aldershot club and the McLarney’s with Chris Douglas down from the Skipton Club to contend with regular midlander’s Dave Richards, Alan Leighton and Dez. Plus of course our ever present super keen import, Pete Chang, who sadly made his final appearance as he is moving back home to New Zealand after the 1/5th National at Brookland. I’d like to thank Pete for all his enthusiasm for the bikes over the years and hope he can instil the passion for RC bikes into a few Kiwis when he gets home next month. Top Man.

Pete did some major modifications to his Hunter systems sidecar to bring it more in-line with the old Mardave run by Dez and the new Mardave Sidecar as being run by born again biker Steve Chapman. Pete’s Hunter went four seconds per lap quicker than it ever has before by adopting the same suspension set up as the Mardave’s and after some serious test laps on Saturday put in his best ever performance with the sidecar on his last visit to Bedworth, a fitting end to his tour of duty in the UK.

Steve Chapman was dragged out of retirement by the chance to run the new Mardave Prototype, and taking round one of qualifying in front of Dez and Pete put a big grin on his face, especially as he was running it in stock configuration with a G2 brushed motor and 4 cell NiMh while Dez was on 6 cell and Pete on LiPo power!
Round 2 Dez was back on form and took pole by shave 0.1 seconds off the current race record, bringing the new target down to 13/310.11 just narrowly missing the previous lap record by 0.07secs which remains at 23.04. In the finals it was a close run thing between all three sidecars, Dez taking leg one and Steve taking Leg two with a fine run. Dez took overall victory ahead of Steve and Pete and everyone agreed it had been another fine day at Bedworth.

In the Stock 1/8th class things were a little mixed, as the choice of motors seems to be wildly out of control, and all motors tried so far have proved unpredictable. This week, Dave Richard was having a good run while Alan Leighton has getting all the grief, eating three motors in one meeting is beyond a joke.

Derek McLarney was running his Superbike spec Venom in the stock heat to balance out the numbers, but being shown the way home by Dave and Alan which just goes to show how crazy fast the so called ‘stock’ 370P Venom motor is, no way you’d call that a stock motor!

Dave took pole position and victory in the finals ahead of Derek McLarney and Pete Chang, with Alan retiring in both legs after yet more motor issues.
A new lap record was posted by both Alan and Dave, beating the previous 24.25 sec lap record with 24.19 from Alan and a stunning 24.08 from Dave embarrassing the majority of the brushless, LiPo, front brake equipped Superbikes!!  The stock race record remains intact at 12/310.72 by Alan Leighton, but both Alan and Dave were knocking at the door.

In Superbike it was Ian McLarney setting the pace, but sticking with the Kit V5 tyres on a warm 17 C they were all he needed to stay on track on kit RTR tyres and put in a performance fast enough to set pole position and take leg one of the finals. Dez won leg two but it was Ian’s victory overall. Chris Groom and Chris Douglas mixed it up for the final podium place but it was Mr Groom from Aldershot that took the final FTD voucher for third. Chris Douglas learning the hard way that a bike that is too fast is just too much to handle. Both race and lap records remain in tact, set by Colin McCabe last time out.

Thanks to all that made the trip and to Bedworth for the third fun meeting in a row!
Full results will be on line shortly at www.bedworthrc.com
Not many pics this time as I was just a little busy preparing two sidecars and my solo.

See you all for more on May 24th, when hopefully Chris Mr Mardave will be up with his new chariot, and perhaps Ken Dineen plus Steve Chapman and Colin McCabe will be joining the three wheelers too.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:53:38 AM by Dez82 »
Dez Chand

You miss all the fun !

Chris Douglas

• Administrator
  • World Champion Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 10:51:37 AM »
Hi Guy's,

Had a great day out racing yesterday, it was my first proper outing with my brushless/lipo/brake venom and I was quite impressed with the performance. It was a same that I looked like an newbie for the first 4 races then the penny dropped on the last lap on the last final, never mind at least the marshalls got a free workout with their entry fee.

I was supprised at the Mardave sidecar, it looks like a well finished item and it seams to drive well on the track (from my very limited sidecar experience), the bodywork is a bit funky but its practical. I might even get one my self.

see you guys next weekend.
Chris,

KP Designs KP11e Superbike, Venom GPV-1 Superbike, McLarney Daytona Stockbike, Mardave FIM Sidecar, Anderson M5 Race Pro.

Dez82

• World Champion Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 11:04:15 AM »
Nice one Chris, what did you change for the finals then?

Here's a few pics of the sidecars from Sunday.

Remember me? Steve Chapman is Born again! The Mardave Sidecar dragging himn out of retirement! He has threatened to get his all dominating 1/8th much modified Kyosho bike from the mid 90's up and running again too!

Dez Chand

You miss all the fun !

Chris Douglas

• Administrator
  • World Champion Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 11:20:09 AM »
Cool pics, definatley looks the part with the detailed bodywork.

As for my venom, I added a chunk of weight and stopped driving like a 1/5th stock bike. after Ian had a go he backed off the brakes a bit, this settled the bike more on the entrance to the corners..

roll on brooklands for some more track time.
Chris,

KP Designs KP11e Superbike, Venom GPV-1 Superbike, McLarney Daytona Stockbike, Mardave FIM Sidecar, Anderson M5 Race Pro.

Dez82

• World Champion Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 11:44:57 AM »
Oh right, did you try it without the club transponder shoved up the tail piece also??

Remember your PT boys! That goes for Brookland this weekend too!
Dez Chand

You miss all the fun !

Chris Douglas

• Administrator
  • World Champion Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 11:46:38 AM »
 :-[
Chris,

Peter Chang

• Professional
Re: Bedworth Summer Series Rnd3
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 12:21:06 PM »
I also had a great day, good track, good atmosphere, sunshine and I improved my times by large amounts.

Pete Chang, who sadly made his final appearance as he is moving back home to New Zealand after the 1/5th National at Brookland. I’d like to thank Pete for all his enthusiasm for the bikes over the years and hope he can instil the passion for RC bikes into a few Kiwis when he gets home next month. Top Man.

Pete did some major modifications to his Hunter systems sidecar to bring it more in-line with the old Mardave run by Dez and the new Mardave Sidecar as being run by born again biker Steve Chapman. Pete’s Hunter went four seconds per lap quicker than it ever has before by adopting the same suspension set up as the Mardave’s and after some serious test laps on Saturday put in his best ever performance with the sidecar on his last visit to Bedworth, a fitting end to his tour of duty in the UK.

Dez got it mostly right, I hope to manage the BRCA round at the lovely flowing Cotswold track as well, fingers crossed.

I was getting a bit frustrated with the old sidecar, (Dez was way too much faster).

Getting a mix of tyres that worked and the new suspension transformed it. I started with the hacksaw and files - a la Richard Blisset - before getting lazy and robbing bits from a Mardave Super Seven kit that was in the cupboard, unbuilt.

I ended up with a big F1 yellow compound tyre at the back, a Tamiya front F1 tyre on the side, and after a try with a Corally 1/12th up front ended with a hard Mardave front. I probably need another day tyre testing and I think they need truing down to drop the ride height 3 or 4 mm.

The easy route would be to use what comes with the New Mardave as it seems sorted out of the box and good value too.

Listening to Dez explain the behavior on a sidecar on the straight helped me use full throttle, although I had not quite mastered the entry to the sweeper at the increased speed by the end of the day.

I was pretty pleased to improve my Venom qualifying time by 2 laps. Only need to improve another full lap and............

Cheers
Peter
Peter Chang

nippy57

• Professional
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 12:21:27 PM »
Another good weekend and good racing. Side cars were very good. Cant wait till 24th.

Chris Groom

• World Champion Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 12:49:48 PM »
Had a great day on Sunday at Bedworth, it's a great track for the 1/8ths. The track was in pristine condition with closely mown grass and smooth curbs which is just the ticket for little bikes, none of them pesky little walls to hit.

Dez is right those new replacement stock motors are far too fast for the stock class and will mean that any new Venom out of the box won't be able to compete, Mr Dezmondo will have sort it pronto.

As for there being no bumps at Bedworth, well all I can say is I must be really unlucky coz I found some.

The new Kinetic Racing 1/8th (KR18) had it's first outing and went really well coming second in the first two heats and third in the third heat. It got an overall third in the finals which I was happy with considering it was my first time at the track with very little practice and the bikes first outing. The chassis is based on the Mini KP but with various modification to allow it to run all the Venom running gear, it will be available soon so keep an eye on the team website.

Thanks to Dave for letting me pit in his camper van, although the tea service was a do it your self affair........ 8)
I want to die asleep just like my grandad, not kicking and screaming like his pasengers...

nippy57

• Professional
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 07:51:29 AM »
HaHa. Once you pass the tea test I might let you cook for me, but yo still need a bit of practice yet ; LOL

Dez82

• World Champion Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 10:39:09 AM »
Well the full results are now on line here....
http://www.bedworthrc.com/results/results.asp

Alan leads the stock class league, Dez leads the Superbike (Colin didn't show up!) and Sidecar too.

See you all May 24th for round 4, lets have some fun!
Dez Chand

You miss all the fun !